Spices and herbs have had a long history for their wonderful aromas and for their disinfectant properties.
Herbs, spices, and essential oils add a clean fragrance and some also convey antimicrobial properties.
Here are some do-it-yourself recipes.
DIY Herbal Cleanser Recipes
- Aromatic sink scrub: Mix in a blender: a quarter cup mint leaves; one cup baking soda; and one tablespoon salt. Sprinkle it into your sink, add a little water, and scrub.
- Herbal window cleaner: Mix together in a spray bottle: two cups strained lemon balm and half a cup vinegar. Spray windows then wipe dry with old newspaper or a soft cloth.
- Spicy room deodorizer: Blend a mixture of cinnamon sticks and orange peels over the stove. While it does not clean anything, it is a natural way to fill the house with a delightful smell and would come in handy in place of a chemical deodorizer.
- Herbal DIY dryer sheets: You can add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to a cloth and then throw it in the dryer with your clothes—it will make your laundry smell amazing and is much more Earth-friendly than scented dryer sheets.
1. Fill a quart- to half-gallon-size glass jar with citrus peels. This doesn’t need to be done all at once. Just whenever you eat a citrus, put the peel in the jar.
2. When the jar is sufficiently full, pour vinegar over the peels to cover. Optional: Compress the peels first so less vinegar is used.
3. Let the mixture sit for at least two and half weeks. The vinegar will take on an orange/golden hue and smell powerfully of citrus.
4. Fill half a spray bottle with citrus-vinegar, straining as your pour. Fill the rest with water.
5. Use with a rag to clean, well, anything! It works well on sinks, mirrors, windows, floors, wooden chairs, and counters. Best of all, this is made with the citrus peels you’d otherwise be throwing out!