Hi! It’s just about time for the holidays and the countdown begins. The following 7 day plan, courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens, will help you to get your home clean in time for the holidays.
Housecleaning for the Holidays
Prepping your home for holiday parties or overnight guests can be hectic. Eliminate day-of cleaning chaos by dividing your housecleaning tasks into doable segments. Follow our 7-Day Cleaning Plan and 1-Hour Quick Clean Plan to prepare your home before guests arrive.
7-Day Cleaning Plan
Don’t procrastinate — start cleaning now. Our 7-Day Cleaning Plan maps out a few major tasks to accomplish daily, so all that’s left the day your guests arrive is a handful of last-minute touch-ups.
1. Walk through your home with a visitor’s eye, making notes of any imperfections you may be used to but guests may notice, such as houseplants with dead leaves.
2. Turn do-it-yourself tasks into a do-it-ourselves effort — gather family members, go over the plan, and assign chores. Remember: many hands make light work.
1. Wash windows and vacuum window screens.
2. Damp-mop baseboards.
3. Launder and press window and shower curtains.
4. Launder bedspreads if needed.
1. Deep-clean bathrooms and medicine cabinets (yes, people will look).
2. Straighten bedrooms; remove clutter and donate or store out of sight.
1. Straighten coat closet, making room for guests’ coats. Add extra hangers if needed.
2. Wash throw rugs; set aside so they are nice and fluffy for party day.
1. Clean range or stove top, surfaces, and grates.
2. Clean out the refrigerator, making room for party foods; dust top of refrigerator.
3. Wipe down all large and small appliances.
4. Wipe down kitchen cabinets.
5. Take recycling to recycling bins or facilities.
1. Sweep entryway, polish the doorknob, and decorate the entry with seasonal touches.
2. Dust all surfaces, including bookshelves, photo frames, and art. Don’t forget the ceiling fans.
3. Clean kitchen sink and dish drainer.
Time to party! Here are a few day-of touch-ups:
1. Clean trash receptacles and add fresh liners.
2. Wipe down any dirty areas in the bathrooms using household cleaner and paper towels.
3. Wipe down bathroom mirrors and counters. Wipe down floors with a damp towel.
4. Put toilet bowl cleaner in the toilets; brush.
5. Hang fresh towels and put out fresh hand soap.
6. Damp-mop the kitchen floor.
7. Vacuum carpets and dry-mop wood floors.
8. Fluff sofa cushions and pillows.
9. Decorate with special touches, such as flowers or candles.
I hope this makes things a bit easier for you. We all know how hectic the holidays can be so hopefully, this will help to make them nicer.
Happy Cleaning. 🙂