Today I’m going to talk to you about keeping your family safe from molds. Molds are very common in buildings and in homes. It will grow anywhere indoors where you find moisture. There are several types of mold spores, the more common ones known as, Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus and Alternaria. These particular molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous but a buildup of these molds have been linked to ill health conditions.
According to the Institute of Medicine, they found sufficient evident to the indoor exposure to molds to respiratory conditions. These conditions can be upper respiratory tract symptoms such as coughing and wheezing in healthy individuals, more severe conditions in people with asthma and hypersensitivity pneumonitis in people with immune conditions. They also found that in healthy children, exposure to molds can cause respiratory conditions for them. The most common health conditions from mold exposure are hay fever/allergy symptoms. Some people with chronic respiratory disease may have a difficult time breathing.
Another type of mold spore, while less common than the ones mentioned above, is known as Stachybotrys. This particular type of mold spore can produce toxins and is therefor known as toxigenic because they produce mycotoxins. This type of mold spore is more dangerous and can cause more serious illnesses. Although it is not rare, it is not as abundant as the other types of spores. Just be aware and pay attention to your family and their syptoms. Stachybotrys chartarum is a greenish-black mold. It is usually found on high cellulose materials such as fiberboard, lint, dust paper, and gypsum board. There first has to be a leak of some sort because these spores need moisture in order to grow.
Mold spores come into your home in many ways. Windows, doorways, heating and ventilation systems and even some air conditioning systems can be a passage way into your home. Outside spores can attach themselves to pets, people, clothing, shoes and bags. When these mold spores fall into a spot where there is excessive or continuous moisture – places such as leaky roofs, walls, potted plants, leaky basements, excessive humidity, ceilings, cardboard, wood – these provide excellent places for the spores to multiply and populate.
Once you have a large infestation of mold spores, you will usually be able to see the growth (on grout in tiles or other places) or smell it. If you can do this, you need to get this problem taken care of. So, how do you do this? This is where commercial cleaning companies come in handy. The products they use can usually get rid of the mold from hard surfaces with a very thorough cleaning. You can use a bleach solution of no more than a cup of bleach to a gallon of water. Please note though, that absorbant and porous materials such as carpet, tiles and drywall, may have to be discarded. There are professional services that handle the elimination of mold infestations.
The key to not having to worry about the dangers of molds and your families health is to use preventative measures. Keep all areas that are more suseptable to moisture, dry and clean at all times. If you have leaks or flooding, get that repaired as soon as possible. Cleaning services will keep the more common areas of your home where moisture can lead to mold growth clean and sanitary. In between cleaning service calls, be sure to continue the upkeep of the hot spots where you know your home could have a potential buildup.
Well, I hope this artical has been helpful. I want to wish everyone a happy, healthy and clean future!
Visit our website for this months cleaning discounts and get a head start on keeping your home mold free! Visit Now! Sheri’s Cleaning Service